Catholic Sisters in Partnership for Sustainability
Implicit at every level of Catholicism is the theme of partnership, both divine-human partnership and the partnerships that Catholicism’s communal commitments imply. Fundamental to Catholic social teaching (CST) is emphasis on human dignity, the common good, and sustainability, all themes that find resonance in African traditions, including, for example, in the tradition of “abundant life."
This project prepares communities of Catholic sisters to frame their own work in terms of partnership. It allows them to connect the secular language of the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to CST and to their own culturally specific identities and charisms, and it equips them with practical skills in partnership, resource development, and communication on behalf of their work for sustainability. As a result, this project enables Catholic sisters to be intentional about pursuing partnerships for sustainable development and so to live out their charisms more effectively.
This project is funded by the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation.
This project is educational; it enhances the ability of congregations of Catholic sisters to:
- Increase the leadership skills of East African sisters, especially with respect to their ability to communicate and partner with other organizations addressing the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals.
- Leverage the partnerships that already exist in sisters’ ministries in the service of sustainable development.
- Publicize to the wider public the work of participating congregations on behalf of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals as understood in terms of Catholic Social Teaching and their charisms.
- Press Release from Loyola: New Major Grant Helps LIM Further Sustainable Development Efforts in Africa
- Previous project entitled "Communicating Charism: Educating for Leadership and Social Media Capacity in Communities of Women Religious"
- Media partner, Salt+Light TV and their page devoted to "Sisterhood" video series
- Learn more about the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation's Catholic Sisters Initiative.
- Presentation by Project Manager Sarah DeMarais on “Displaced Persons & Sacred Spaces: Catholic Sisters Respond to Crisis.”
- Franciscan Missionary Sisters for Africa (FMSA)
- The Grail
- Immaculate Heart Sisters of Africa (IHSA)
- Little Sisters of St. Francis (LSOSF)
- Loreto Sisters, Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary (IBVM)
- Missionary Sisters of the Precious Blood (CPS)
- Sisters of the Holy Spirit, Monze
- Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Reparatrix (IHMR)
- Sisters of Mary of Kakamega (SMK)
- Sisters of Our Lady of Kilimanjaro (CDNK)
- Ursuline Sisters of the Agonizing Heart of Jesus (Grey Ursulines)
For more information, contact Project Manager, Sarah DeMarais at 504-865-3571 or firstname.lastname@example.org.