The Fr. Ignatius Roppolo Memorial Endowment Proudly Presents
Mary Catherine Hilkert, O.P., on Preaching
Friday Lecture on Preaching, April 14, 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 at Loyola and on Zoom
"The Joy of the Gospel, the Baptismal Vocation, and the Genius of the Spirit"
Saturday Preaching Workshop, April 15, 9:00 a.m. to Noon at Loyola only
"Preaching Resurrection Hope"
Friday Lecture, April 14, Audubon Room, Danna Student Center, Loyola and on Zoom
- 6:30 p.m.: Refreshments
- 7-9 p.m.: Prayer, Lecture, Conversation
- In his Apostolic Exhortation The Joy of the Gospel, Pope Francis summoned all baptized Christians to be missionary disciples. That exhortation included specific calls to hear the cries of the poor, to attend to the voices of wisdom figures in the Christian community, to listen to the hopes and insights of the young, and to create more opportunities for a more incisive role of women in the church's mission of evangelization. Remembering the Spirit's "infinite creativity" in raising up preachers in the past and attending to more recent voices raised in the Synod's listening sessions, this lecture will explore the call to preach the Gospel today.
Saturday Preaching Workshop, April 15, Audubon Room, Danna Student Center, Loyola
- 8:30 a.m.: Refreshments
- 9 a.m.-Noon: Prayer and workshop
- Rooted in the conviction that the Word of God is creative and prophetic and that the Spirit of God empowers resurrection hope, this workshop is designed for ordained and lay preachers, leaders of community worship and prayer, and all those called to share the Word of God. Focusing on the lectionary readings for Sunday, April 16, the morning will include theological reflection on preaching as the art of “naming grace” and a creative process that will engage participants in "breaking open the Word" and developing skills for leading others in that process.
- Free and open to the public
- Free parking available in Loyola's West Road Garage
- Registration Required
- For more information about this event, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 504-865-2069.
Mary Catherine Hilkert, O.P., a member of the Dominican Sisters of Peace, is Professor of Theology at the University of Notre Dame. She is the author of Naming Grace: Preaching and the Sacramental Imagination, Speaking with Authority: Catherine of Siena and the Voices of Women Today, and numerous articles on contemporary theology, preaching, and spirituality, as well as co-editor with Robert J. Schreiter of The Praxis of the Reign of God: An Introduction to the Theology of Edward Schillebeeckx. A former president of the Catholic Theological Society of America, Sr. Hilkert has lectured, preached, and offered workshops in Catholic and ecumenical contexts in the United States, Canada, Ireland, Belgium, The Netherlands, Australia, and South Africa. She also has served on two international preaching commissions of the Order of Preachers (Dominicans).
This event is supported by the Fr. Ignatius Roppolo Memorial Endowment that was started to honor Fr. Roppolo who served the sick and the poor and exercised collaborative leadership.
For more information about the Endowment or to donate to support the Endowment, please email Paula Stuckart at email@example.com.