FaithActs Summer Youth Theology Institute, June 18-23
FaithActs is a program for rising Catholic high school juniors and seniors to step outside the classroom and gather at Loyola University New Orleans for an exciting summer institute focusing on the earth and the role we play as Catholics. The Institute utilizes a dynamic, transformative process that includes:
- immersion experiences in local wetlands and neighborhoods
- social analysis
- theological reflection
- play/ exercise
- personal and group spiritual reflection
- community service
Faith Acts invites students to think theologically and explore answers to questions such as:
- What is happening to the Earth?
- What is God's will with and for us?
- What am I called to create?
We invite you to share in the great work of strengthening your faith, exploring your true self, asking big questions, and leading the future!
- Morning Prayer
- Service immersion
- Lunch & Break
- Afternoon instruction and reflection on theology and ecology
- Small Group processing and reflection
- Spiritual formation/Ignatian reflection
- Service Activity/Excursion or Evening programming
- Evening Prayer and Journaling
- Lights Out
Sample Activities Include:
- Exploring the theology of Creation, Sustainability, Missionary Discipleship, Catholic Social Teaching, and Ignatian Spirituality with Loyola University faculty
- Sharing faith in small group conversations led by Loyola student mentors
- Reflecting on what God is calling them to do with their lives
- Study the ethical demands of justice to ensure for all members of the Earth community the conditions required for their flourishing
- Engage in theological and ecological dialogue with peers, Loyola student mentors and Loyola faculty
- Celebrating the liturgy and reflecting through prayer
- Connect their faith to social justice by finding God at in all things
- Exploring the Bayou Coquille trail at Jean Lafitte National Park,
- Understand the ecological impact of Mardi Gras and visit the bead recycling center, ARC of Greater New Orleans Center.
- Discover how to create and care for sustainable gardens through meaningful service learning and working with the Edible Schoolyard Garden.
Learn more about FaithActs 2018 GO»
Learn more about our program's policies and procedures GO»
For more information, please contact Tom Ryan at 504-865-2069 or email@example.com.