The 2019 FaithActs Summer Youth Theology Institute will take place Monday through Friday, June 17-21.
How can the seeds planted in Catholic parishes and schools blossom into the vibrant Church of tomorrow?
How can high school students discover God's call for their life and explore their faith's social implications?
Thanks to a grant from the Lilly Foundation, Loyola University New Orleans is offering FaithActs Youth Theology Summer Institute this summer, a one-week residential institute for rising high school juniors and seniors.
Current high school sophomores and juniors may apply.
The cost to attend is $500. A limited number of need-based scholarships are available.To receive more information about need-based scholarships, select the option "Yes, I am interested in a need-based scholarship."
Students are housed in one of the Loyola University residence halls with dedicated Resident Assistants staying on the same floor. Transportation throughout the week of the institute, housing, and all meals are included in this cost.
Students will receive instruction from Loyola University faculty members and reflect in small groups led by Loyola undergraduate student mentors. All Loyola faculty, staff, and undergraduate student mentors are Safe Environment trained and are cleared through background checks in order to work with minors.
Students can earn either 50 service hours or 3 college credits by participating in the FaithActs Institute.
- Apply Today!
- Earn 60 service hours or 3 college credits! To learn more about how you can earn 3 college credits, click here.
- Immerse yourself in the rich environmental, historical, and religious context of south Louisiana
- Explore questions about God, your faith, and its implications for how you live
- Discover God's call for your life
- Delight in the wonder of creation
- Pray and reflect with small groups
- Draw on the wisdom of Pope Francis
- Study the intersection of faith and science
- Analyze environmental threats and work for environmental justice
- Develop actions for sustainability
- Experience living on campus for 4 nights
- Students can earn either 60 service hours or 3 college credits by participating in the FaithActs Institute
- To nominate participants who are ready to explore questions about their faith, purpose, and call to ministry in the world.
- Insect repellent
- Hat or visor
- Shower slippers
- T-shirts and shorts for outdoor service activities
- Long-sleeved shirts and pants for protection against insects on evening excursions
- Tennis shoes or work boots you don’t mind getting dirty or muddy
- Nice informal wear for closing service on Saturday, June 23
For fire safety, personal safety, and pest control reasons, the following items are prohibited in all residence halls:
- Explosives and fireworks
- Knives and weapons
- Illegal substances (absolutely no drugs or alcohol)
- Halogen lamps (floor or desk)
- Microwave oven (MicroChillers and MicroFridges are OK)
- Candles, oil lamps, incense, and other burning devices
- Extension cords
- Space heaters
- Combustible materials
- Open coil appliances such as hot plates, skillets, toasters, or toaster ovens
For more information, please contact Diane Blair at 504-865-3399 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.